It’s that time of year where the leaves on the beautiful trees around us are changing from green to golds, reds, oranges and even amber. As the trees start to show signs of fall, it is a good reminder of the importance of tree maintenance in the fall. This will help get your trees ready for the long winter that we have ahead of us. The fall is the perfect time of year to give your trees that added boost to strengthen them and prepare them for the extreme weather. Tree Craft Tree Service is here to share some tips that will help you get your trees ready for winter this fall.
Tips to Prepare Your Trees for Winter this Fall
There are several things that you can do for your trees that will make a big difference in how they fair during the winter months. Here are some tips to help give your trees what they need to successfully survive the winter:
– Fertilize Trees: When it comes to giving your tree nutrients, the soil might be lacking in the wintertime. This is why the fall season is the perfect time to add some slow releasing fertilizer to the soil for your trees. This should help them get through the winter with no problem.
– Mulch Trees: Another great tool to prepare your trees for winter is mulch. Adding several inches of mulch around the base of the tree will help add insulation to ease the cold temperatures as well as retain the moisture that your tree needs. Just remember that you want to leave about 6 inches of space between the actual trunk of the tree and the mulch so that you avoid problems lie fungus growth on the tree.
– Water Trees: Many people don’t think of the winter as a dry season, but it can be drier than summertime. You need to give your trees a nice long drink several times throughout the fall so they can retain that water for the times when they need it during the winter.
– Prune Trees: Fall is one of the perfect times of the year to do some pruning on your trees. Removing the dead or dying branches is important for your trees moving into the winter. Snow can be extremely heavy and cause damage to your trees if there are many dead branches found in its crown. Remove those so that your tree doesn’t sustain damage this winter.
– Wrap Trees: If you are looking to give your trees one more layer of protection, you can wrap them. When you wrap your trees, make sure you’re wrapping them from the top to the bottom for best results.
Tree Pruning & Trimming, Emergency Tree Removal in West Norriton Township, Tredyffrin Township, East Norriton, Radnor, Wayne, Saint Davids, Lower Merion Township, Norristown, Upper Merion Township, Phoenixville & Greater King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
If you are ready to get your trees prepared for the winter months but aren’t sure where to start, you can turn to Tree Craft Tree Service to help. We will know what trees need to strengthen them and fortify them for the long winter ahead. Call us today!